Chocolate Dipped Strawberries! - How to DIY a Tasty Treat
Recently, I have been all about searching for and trying out new recipes. Most recently, I've made baked glazed donuts, whole wheat chocolate "skinny" muffins (not sure I believe the skinny part- but they were good!) and whole wheat pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. But by far my favorite thing that I've made in the recent weeks were chocolate covered strawberries. I made them as a treat to take on our trip to Chicago, as a surprise! : ]
If you've never tried your hand at something like this, I am here to tell you it is incredibly easy, so don't hold back! That why I am sharing how I did it, so you can give a try too! Since this was my first time, I started out by first researching and reading recipes and of course I spent some time watching videos on Food Network showing different techniques. I found this one in particular very helpful!
Once I felt confident that I at least sort of knew what I was doing, I went out and bought the ingredients.
Here is a list of the items I used to make the chocolate covered strawberries:
- about 16 oz of fresh organic whole strawberries
- about 10 oz of ghirardelli milk chocolate baking chips
- one ghirardelli white chocolate baking bar
- canola oil to thin chocolate after melting
- crushed almond for decoration
*One important step I noticed in all the recipes I read, was to be sure the berries were completely dry before dipping so that the moisture didn't cause the chocolate to separate later.
Once I had everything:
- I washed and dried my strawberries.
- Melted the milk chocolate in the microwave at 50% power in one minute increments.
- Added a teaspoon or so of oil to thin the chocolate a bit
- Dipped each strawberry and laid them down on wax paper for the chocolate to set
- While some were still setting, I sprinkled a few crushed almonds on top
and VOILA! a culinary masterpiece. ^.~